edSeed and Project Turquoise are on a journey together.
This partnership celebrates youth enabling and empowering one another to pursue education as a gateway to a brighter future. The collaboration was inspired by the Project Turquoise youth who returned home from an educational service trip to the Za’atari Camp, enriched and energized by the experience. The group pledged to continue its commitment to the students they met at Zaatari Camp and have spent this year raising funds to help support the Syrian youth’s educational objectives. Through the partnership with edSeed, Project Turquoise is awarding educational scholarships for two students from the Za’atari Camp.
Scholars supported by our fund
Amnah AleidRaised so far in 31 months
23 Years old,
Mariam NusairatRaised so far in 31 months
21 Years old,
Enas AlkhaswniRaised so far in 32 months
20 Years old,
Ammar AlmasriRaised so far in 32 months
19 Years old,
Dania AlkhutabaRaised so far in 32 months
20 Years old,
Ziad AlradiRaised so far in 32 months
21 Years old,
About Project Turquoise Education Fund
In June 2018, Project Turquoise Youth Committee organized a cultural exchange and educational service trip for high school students from the Washington, DC area to the Za’atari Camp for Syrian Refugees in Jordan. The Youth Committee returned enriched and energized by the experience, having developed meaningful friendships, many of which have continued across the year through email and Skype correspondence. Watch a short film about this trip here.
The group pledged to continue its commitment to the students they met at Zaatari Camp and have spent this year raising funds to help support the Syrian youth’s educational objectives. Through the partnership with edSeed, Project Turquoise is pleased to announce educational scholarships for one boy and one girl from the Za’atari Camp.
2018 Youth Service Trip
A group of 14 American high school and college students along with 5 chaperones traveled to Jordan in June 2018. Our volunteers paid for their trip. The only cost to Project Turquoise was purchasing the local camp supplies which were raised by our team. The American youth connected and spent 4 days with 28 Syrian teens to accomplish the following:
- Developed curriculum for English instruction for Syrian students, as well as Arabic instruction for American students;
- Carried out science, music, art, photography and sports classes over 4 days for students
- Applied and secured special permission to take their Syrian peers to a nature hike outing for the day;
- Held a closing ceremony by practicing and performing “We are the champions” together.
Youth Committee Fundraisers
35+ teens across 18 public and private schools in the greater Washington, DC metro area have come together to raise awareness and funds to support Project Turquoise and Project Turquoise Education Fund’s efforts:
- Raised and purchased $15,000 worth of sports equipment and school materials for the remedial school at Camp Za’atari;
- Purchased $12,000 worth of shoes to distribute to remedial schools across Camp Za’atari and Camp Azraq;
- Developed peer-to-peer projects for teens to engage with their Syrian counterparts in Relief International’s Social Innovation Labs (SILs)
- Supported October 2016 PT fundraising
- Coordinated and managed 2 movie screening fundraisers
- Managed letter-writing campaigns at 16 area-wide schools, along with two Human Rights Day School bake sales (2017 and 2018)
- Designed and sold Project Turquoise T-shirt Campaign in their communities
- Held 5K runs in 2018 and 2019 to raise funds
- Held Restaurant Night fundraisers throughout the school year
- Supported Lavender Harvest sale in 2017 by harvesting and selling lavender from a local donor
- Held Social Innovation Challenges and peer-to-peer Skype Calls with Camp Za’atari students
- Raised funds through the sale of hand-crafted jewelry
The Project Turquoise Vision
We will raise awareness in our community by holding events to discuss these conflicts within the US and abroad. We will raise funds to help affected communities and we will organize service trips to deliver service, make long-lasting connections, share learning and exchange cultures. In partnership with other NGOs, Project Turquoise scope of support will be focused on delivering relief through Health Services and Supplies, Humanitarian Support, and making Education affordable for those in need.
Project Turquoise Education Fund