Palestinian, from Gaza; seeking Undergraduate degree in Data science and artificial intelligence and is enrolled at University College Of Applied Sciences.
My name is Fatema Alhabbash, a freshman AI and Data Science major at the University College of Applied Science in Gaza City. Recipient of a concession grant from UCAS. I am one of 10 siblings. Despite our very modest economic means, my parents insisted that we all continue our higher education. My high school average was 97.7.
As a child, I was fond of science fiction. I enjoyed watching cartoons about technology and its ability to unleash the power of imagination. My dream was to become a dentist, but because of the high tuition fees of Dentistry, I had to think of an alternative. I searched for a specialty that has medical applications. I found that data science and artificial intelligence are a perfect fit for my purpose.
The University College of Applied Sciences in Gaza offered this major for the first time the year I graduated high school. I looked into applications of the discipline and to my pleasure, I found that AI will soon change the way dental care was provided.
Dental care is not a top priority for people, particularly children. Neglect is at times attributed to the difficult economic situation of most families in Gaza. The cost of dental treatment in Gaza is beyond the means of many.
I believe that by using data science to research and survey the poorest areas in Gaza City we can intervene and mitigate the poor dental health conditions of the affected population. We can then establish medical centers to raise awareness among adults and children about the importance of dental care, hygiene, treatment at nominal prices.
This will be a goal I hope to reach upon graduation.
Why Would Donors Fund You?
Gaza City lacks the infrastructure for data analysis. Today, no country can survive without benchmarking progress in any field. It is an international requirement dictated by the UN SDG's 2030.
I hope to be a leader in this field. Devising solutions to our economic and social problems will start at knowing the goal and mapping the road to its realization. I aspire to be an expert in this field. I am still exploring the many applications of data science and AI and hope be able to make a difference in my country'd future.
How Do You Plan to Payback?
Data science the yardstick for measuring progress in societies, designing policy and remedying underperformance.
- I will map areas in Gaza to plan for pediatric dental care centers in poor areas.
- I will organize fund raising campaigns to build and manage these centers.
- I will organize dental hygiene awareness campaigns and reach out to dental supply companies for donations.
- I will build a recreation center adjacent to the dental care facilities for parents to learn crochet and drawings while kids are being treated.
- I will use the center to raise awareness about violence against women. I can prove with figures how many women suffer, show avenues of redress and provide solutions on how to mitigate and hopefully put an end to this scurge.
Volunteer Work/Social Capital
I had little social capital to speak of. I do intend to use my college volunteering requirements by being of help to other students on edSeed and VIP.fund as soon as I develop the skills for that.
What Have You Done to Improve Yourself? Awards and Achievements
- English courses at the British Book Center.
- Python language, Cisco platform https://www.cisco.com/
- English for freelancers , British Council platform https://web.edapp.com/#home,
- Data analytics course in the Simplilearn platform https://lms.simplilearn.com/
- Exploratory Data Analysis with Seaborn course in Coursera platform https://www.coursera.org/programs/ucas-dsai-scw2b?currentTab=CATALOG
- Online Marketing Basics course
- Extracurricular: Knitting crochet course (hobby)