Palestinian, from Gaza; seeking Undergraduate degree in General Nurse and is enrolled at Alazhar University - Gaza.
I am Hassan Zaqout, a senior Nursing student at Al-Azhar University in Gaza. I live with my family
in al-Shati’ refugee camp.
Nursing was my major of choice. My aunt who lives with us has cancer. I felt that I need to care for her.
Singing was my hobby. I used my skills and talents to make a difference.
Charity always begins at home.
I was 15 years old when I stepped outside my house to a loud noise. A kid was hit by a car, and he laid there bleeding, with no one able to help. I had to check youtube to find what I should do until emergency teams got to the site.
Since then, my passion for studying nursing grew fonder.
Who doesn't need someone to care for them? Who doesn’t want to listen to
a song that eases their pain? I wanted to use my talent in singing to bring
comfort to others.
As I reviewed the most challenging tasks a nurse has to perform, I found that locating patients' veins stood out as # 1. Therefore, I decided to develop a mobile device that detects veins. I discovered that many large scale devices were used worldwide, but none were portable.
I sought technical advice from the Department of Biomedical Engineering.
Together, we managed to design the device.
It uses infrared radiation absorbed by all body tissues except the veins.
We pitched the idea at the Seventh National Forum, and our idea got a very promising reception.
I was able to get to my senior year with a loan that my father took out to help me graduate. I still need $4,930 to repay the loan and obtain my degree. I hope I can do that with your help.
Why Would Donors Fund You?
Health is mankind’s most precious treasure. If it decays, despair will prevail. I want to assist people in regaining their health. From my perspective, health is an invaluable investment. It involves enhancing our understanding of the human body and treating diseases more effectively. Our people deserve good health. I want to be a part of this pledge.
How Do You Plan to Payback?
Those who are the happiest are those who do the most for others. Therefore,
I want to draw a smile on every face I encounter each day by ;
- Helping newcomers in the field of nursing
- Helping students to fund their education with EdSeed
- Opening a training center to qualify students to start their journey in the field of
- Making a real difference in public health by participating in the invention
of life-saving devices
Volunteer Work/Social Capital
- Elaborated creative ideas with Al Nayzak Foundation
- Volunteered at a home care center for patients
- Volunteered in organizing training for newcomers to the field of nursing
- Conducted a first-aid class for nursing students
- Participated with students from the College of Engineering in designing
the vein detector
- Created voice-overs for the university radio
- Volunteered in reorganizing the nursing department
What Have You Done to Improve Yourself? Awards and Achievements
I obtained certifications and awards related to my field of study and
life skills in general. Here are some of them.
- A certificate in recognition of my efforts in the vaccination campaigns during
- A certificate in elaborating the project of a vein finder
- A certificate in pharmacology
- A certificate in nursing skills
- A certificate in Hebrew
The link below will give you access to a scanned copy of all my certifications