Syrian, from Syria; seeking Undergraduate degree in BS in Nursing and is enrolled at Makassed University of Beirut.
A Japanese proverb wisely states: “Fall seven times, stand up eight.” I took this saying as my motto in life.
I am Khitam Al-Sheikho, a Syrian student residing in Lebanon with a family of seven. My parents were not among the fortunate ones in Syria to receive an education, so I had to pave my own path.
When choosing my future university major, I realized that my passion lies in "helping others." Literature also holds a special place in my heart. I decided to be Melchizedek in Paulo Coelho's novel "The Alchemist" helping others to find their treasures, just as he did. Thus, I have chosen the profession of nursing.
My parents have been suffering for a long time. I couldn’t bear seeing them without doing anything. I wondered: How can I stay by the side of my loved ones until recovery? Nursing was the best answer.
When schoolmates were sick, I offered assistance. I remained by their side until proper medical attention was given to them.
Armed with a nursing degree, I envision a return to my homeland, torn by 11 years of war. I am determined to contribute to the nation's human capital to build back a healthier Syria.
I am about to begin my first year in nursing school. I need $4,000 to support my educational journey. With your kind support, I will be able to write this marvelous chapter of my life.
Why Would Donors Fund You?
After witnessing an intense war, Syria's population has endured wounds. Many have struggled to access adequate medical care due to a shortage of medical professionals.
After graduating, I plan to go back and contribute to the healthcare system in Syria.
Funding my education is investing in a healthier world and guaranteeing the achievement of SDG-3 .
How Do You Plan to Payback?
By pursuing a major in nursing, I aim to contribute positively to the healing and rebuilding process in Syria.
I plan to :
- Aid my people in Syria to the best of my ability.
- Establish a center dedicated to children who have lost their parents during the war, aiming to restore smiles to their faces.
- Raise awareness among my people about diseases and first aid.
Volunteer Work/Social Capital
- Helped the Lebanese Red Cross
- Member of the NGO Youth National Development
- Elaborated Quran memorization classes for young girls at the mosque
- Organized awareness campaigns about drinking alcohol in school
What Have You Done to Improve Yourself? Awards and Achievements
- I obtained the Lebanese Baccalaureate degree in Economics and Sociology (grade: 16/20)
- I won the Arabic Reading Competition organized at school
- I completed an English language course through ACCESS PROGRAM (Teach for Lebanon )