Palestinian, from Gaza; seeking Undergraduate degree in Data science and artificial intelligence and is enrolled at University College Of Applied Sciences.
I am lama Almasri, an 18-year-old Freshman, AI and Data Science major at the University College of Applied Science from Gaza, Palestine.
I graduated high school with a 97.7 average. I was about to achieve my dream, namely, becoming an ophthalmologist.
Unfortunately, I did not qualify for any of the scholarships offered. Medical scholarships were for studying abroad, an option that was not available to me. I had to "manufacture" a new dream.
While I did not get what I wanted, I chose a major I could have, one that was offered for the first time in Gaza : AI & data science at the University College of Applied Sciences.
AI today permeates our lives in ways we cannot imagine. I want to be among the female trail blazers in Gaza to apply AI to Opthalmology.
While researching this major and its medical applications, I learned that "artificial intelligence is expected to give ophthalmologists new automated tools for diagnosing and treating eye diseases."
Researchers at Google Brain initiative reported that their “deep learning” AI system had taught itself to accurately detect diabetic retinopathy, age related macular degeneration, pediatric cataract and glaucoma among other ailments.
I want to be part of the team that helps with using robots in eye surgical procedures, diagnosis of diseases and any other application that could improve eye-care for the people of Gaza.
Why Would Donors Fund You?
- By funding my education you will be supporting one of the most important UN's SDG's , namely educating girls in STEM to achieve gender equality and Quality education. You will also be reinforcing our right, as people under occupation to pursue our education and remain relevant in a technologically challenging environment.
How Do You Plan to Payback?
- I will employ what I learned from robot programming and artificial intelligence in the development In Technological Medical Tools and to be part of the development of this platform.
- I will work on awareness campaigns in my college and social media about AI and how our dreams can be realized as I worked on Event proposal in my college.
- I will be one of the active members of this platform and participate in voluntary work.
Volunteer Work/Social Capital
- I volunteered at the school at the student mediation program.
- I am a sports volunteer for Persons with Disabilities.
- I volunteered at my college to organize a meeting with people from Kuwait to learn about volunteerism and how we can be part of it.
What Have You Done to Improve Yourself? Awards and Achievements
- Computers Essential from Edrak
- CV course from Edrak
- Programming with python from Cisco
- AI Ethics from Kaggle
- Banat Geeks summer camp from Gaza sky Geeks
- get an average of 97.7% in high school.
- get an average of 90.0% in the first term.
- Level 9 in Mental Intelligence Calculation Program.
- get many courses from many online learning platform that previously mentioned.
- Training with Al-Nawa Foundation for Culture and Arts in programming 3 times a week for a month.
- Training with AI education for two months Find a problem with AI solution proposal.