From Syria; seeking a Undergraduate degree in Psychology and is enrolled at The university of Essex online.
While 36% of youth worldwide have access to higher education, only 1% of displaced youth do! This is why I am raising money to fund my online degree at the University of Essex online.
My name is Hadi Althib. I have 5 years of experience in psychosocial and community development work. but I still do not have an undergraduate degree. I have continuously tried to pursue my undergraduate education through different platforms and distance learning programs. These programs were not accredited. My goal can only be attained by obtaining an online bachelor degree from the University of Essex.
Your contribution will not only help me to get a degree. Investing in my education is an investment in the mental well being of Syria’s youth, in diaspora and hopefully in Syria in the future.
My everyday work in #MeWeSyria won a highly competitive MIT Solve award.. It facilitates peer-to-peer learning, and assists Syrian youth displaced and traumatized by conflict to promote communication and psycho-social skills that would help them build their own futures.
“Where there is a will, there is a way” and I have an unlimited will to become a psychologist who inspires youth and children and open spaces of hope to reduce violence and extremism in this world. I believe that studying at the University of Essex online will be the pathway. My purpose of studying psychology is to integrate the practical experiences I have gained with the academic skills that I will obtain.
My message in this changeable world is to help people to find hope, meaning and to understand themselves under stress and anxiety in different situations and start from mental health toward sustainable peacebuilding. In order to achieve this message, I strongly require the power of knowledge to be a psychologist who can lead this journey, but I can not continue this dream without your help and contribution funding my education at the University of Essex online. Will you join me on the journey?
Dream and Mission Statement:
I am a war-wounded peacemaker and community leader who believes that psychological well-being is key to empower, engage, build sustainable relationships and promote peaceful coexistence. I am the son of multi-ethnic parents who appreciate diversity. A refugee leading change in his community, raising awareness among teachers, parents and facilitators on mental health and psychosocial support. A strong believer in humanity who wants people to connect with themselves, reconcile differences and and find alternatives to addiction as a way of escaping their harsh realities.
Why you should fund me?
My community suffers from depression, chronic stress, anxiety, loss of meaning and loss of belonging. Stress and trauma therapy is almost non-existent. I myself am the showcase of this story.
I was 18 years old when hostilities broke out in Syria. I experienced stress every single day. I felt unsafe, but found no one to help me. I did not give up or give in to pressures. I went to a shelter every day for two years and volunteered to help. I was determined to help others who were in worst situations than myself. I learnt from people who lost everything how to survive and find hope and meaning in the hardest situations. When the situation worsened, I fled to Turkey in fear for my life and safety. True, I was not a refugee waiting for assistance, but I did not know where to start. I looked for opportunities to help other people and I have founded a Syrian network called #MeWeSyria. Through this network, we provided support to teachers, parents, and young people educating them on mental health. Our goal was to help them understand and recognize their trauma, become self-aware and eventually move on to build healthy sustainable relationships. Our goal is to help our community reconcile and be ready to embark on the road.
My mission is to help people find hope and meaning, to cope with their trauma, and once they heal, begin the next chapter of reconciliation and peacebuilding. Success in this mission requires me to be qualified to lead this journey. I cannot do this without your help. I have the determination and the ability. I have the hope to build a better community at peace with itsef and with others. But I cannot embark on this journey without your help. Will you help me finance my degree? Will you join me on the journey?
I will continue to provide support. I am determined to have the professional tools that would allow me to improve my impact. In my everyday work, I dedicate myself to empowering young people, parents, and teachers cope with mental health challenges and emotional and psychological burdens associated with forced displacement, trauma and violence. I plan to create a youtube channel that provides content on mental health, self-care and psychological well-being in Arabic.
Also, my futrue dream is to contribute in the educational programs of my country and in the global educational programs by adding psychological contents and research educating young people om mental health and psychosocial learning to better understand themselves and connect with other people.
Awards & Achievements:
- I am a leader of #MeWe Network in Turkey, Lebanon, Iraq and Jordan. I lead teams of facilitators and teachers to enable young people to practice strategic communication and self-awareness, promote non-violent behaviour, and strengthen their civic knowledge of what it takes to become good citizens.
- I am a contributor in the field guide for barefoot psychologists, which is an educational and self-care tool written for individuals (18+), and for those working with them. Grounded in the belief that science is a right and self-awareness is an asset, the Guide unpacks the biological and psychological processes associated with the experience of forced displacement, including issues such as fear, anxiety, stress, trauma, guilt, shame, and hopelessness. It also specifically explores positive assets for cultivating resilience, including the science of neuroplasticity, belonging, and post-traumatic growth.
- I am a former core member at the GCED Youth Network (Global Citizenship education ), which is a global network supported by the UNESCO GIFI initiative. it works with youth and organizations to promote global citizenship education.
- I am a former member of the Syrian Youth Assembly which is a platform of young Syrians working together on peace-building and development for Syria and was set up by a number of Syrian youth present at the World Humanitarian Summit in 2016.
- I am a former member of Mobaderoon network, an institution that provides civil society organizations in the Arab region with a range of consulting and various training services. The network provides help to those working in community development.
- I am a former volunteer at the SSSD (Syrian Society for Social Development), a Syrian organization that Provides an effective response to the needs and challenges of Syrian youth, with a special focus on marginalized and vulnerable population.