From Palestine, Gaza; seeking a Professional Post Graduate degree in Epidemiology and is enrolled at Charite Berlin.
Reflecting back on my path today, one feature defines my journey: perseverance. My journey began after my father's sudden death in 2005.We lost our breadwinner. As the eldest of my seven siblings, I had to help support my family.
My first goal was investing in myself and my family. I knew that my goals should be sustainable.
I started working towards this goal in 2010 when I began studying dentistry. It was a major I loved. I proved myself and was able to get a scholarship at Al-Azhar University.
I realized that excellence alone doest not guarantee achieving my goals. It takes creativity to contribute to a community. As an undergraduate, I volunteered at the Students' Union.
My first goal was to make every possible effort ensure the success of seven health-awareness initiatives targeting the community such as oral cancers, antibiotic misuse, and abuse, and poor infection control and oral hygiene.
In 2015, I graduated ranking first among my classmates. In 2017, I became a teaching assistant. Within one year, I saved a modest amount to help two of my brothers and my little sister to get a college degree and become independent to help my family. I recognized that "Investing in my Family" was successfully accomplished.
While my undergraduate degree is in Dentistry, I intend to pursue a master's degree in epidemiology.
Why Would Donors Fund You?
Palestine has the lowest percentage of the female researchers in science in the Middle East. I want to break this cycle and become a leading researcher. I would love to establish a women led think-tank in Palestine and eventually develop my own iResearch App, a platform that provides training on research methodologies and provides Arabic research content in the field of epidemiology. I taught myself how to do this, and continue to receive requests from students in Gaza asking for help in this field.
How Do You Plan to Payback?
I plan to help my community in scientific research. Studies showed that Palestine has the lowest percentage of females involved in research in the Middle East. By completing my master's, I will gain a robust knowledge in scientific research and return back to my home to develop a digital app; "iResearch". The app will provide university students Arabic-scientific-research-courses. That is because the absence of the Arabic-language-research-content is one of the reasons for the lack of interest in scientific research in Palestine and especially the females.
Volunteer Work/Social Capital
Youth leadership Program YLP/ UNDP: June 2020 – to date
- Participating in the youth conferences that YLP holds.
- Participating and leading the YLP initiatives that raise community awareness
on domestic violence, suicide, and COVID-19.
Palestinian Association for Dental Students /PADS February 2014-2018
- Giving lectures and conducting studies to increase the community awareness about the oral hygiene maintenance and health-related issues.
- Providing free dental care to needy patients.
What Have You Done to Improve Yourself? Awards and Achievements
- Representative of Palestine at the International Youth Day- UNDP-Kuwait 8/2020
- The highest evaluation as teaching assistant for three following years (2017-2020)/
Faculty of Dentistry/ Al Azhar University-Gaza
- The only elected Palestinian female to participate in the international leadership
camp in Russia in 5/2018.
- Honor certificate for the best health educator/ 2015-2016/ Awarding body: Arab
- Honor shield for best class delegate /2014-2015. Al Azhar University-Gaza
- Excellence Tuition waivers for best student 2010 – 2015. Al Azhar University-Gaza