Palestinian, from Gaza; seeking Undergraduate degree in Medicine and is enrolled at Alazhar University.
I am Thaer Madi, a 24-year- old Palestinian refugee from Gaza. I am the oldest of eight siblings. My parents are college graduates.
When I was 15, my friend was seriously injured in a motorcycle accident. He underwent many surgeries. I knew then that I wanted to be an orthopedic doctor to alleviate the suffering of people like him.
In 2015, I finished high school with a 4.0 GPA. I took the first steps to realize my dream of becoming a doctor when I started my medical journey at Alazhar University.
During an Advanced First Aid Course, Dr. Mads Gilbert from the University Hospital of North Norway told us: “We can't stop the occupation, but we can stop the bleeding”. His words continue to ring true to this day.
I graduated six months ago but am unable to begin my internship training because I owe Al-Azhar 12,500.00 USD in tuition debt. This is due to the difficult economic status that I lived during my study.
I need to pay back the debt in order to start my internship and continue my journey.
Why Would Donors Fund You?
Gaza has been the target of attacks for over 15 years. Many were killed , but a lot were severely injured and had to be pulled from under the rubble. Some were permanently disabled. Orthopedic surgeons are in high demand. Our skills could bring back mobility to many otherwise disabled persons. Mobility is the difference between going hungry and feeding one's self and family.
Your donation will help me to start my internship and become an orthopedic surgeon.
How Do You Plan to Payback?
I want to organize an advanced first aid course for medical students. They will be able to train laypeople in workshops sponsored by NGOs and other medical institutions. This project will increase the survival rate for victims during emergencies by providing them with the required first aid before reaching the hospital.
In the future, I intend to establish a charitable organization to support needy medical students in Gaza.
Volunteer Work/Social Capital
- Aug 2019 – Present: Public Relations Coordinator at Medical Students Research Association (AMRA).
- Feb 2019 – Sep 2020: Treasurer at IFMSA-Gaza.
- Jan 2018 – Present: Instructors in Life Saving First Aid with Palestine Children's Relief Fund.
- Oct 2017 – Feb 2019: Coordinator of Reproductive Health Committee at IFMSA-Gaza.
- Nov 2015 – Jun 2021: Volunteer at IFMSA Health Awareness Programs.
- Activities included: Breast Cancer Awareness Campaign, Technical Medical Camp, World Health Day, World Sight Day, "Research As an Art" Course, First aid Workshop, and others. We targeted the students and general population to increase their awareness regarding health issues. For more details please click Here.
What Have You Done to Improve Yourself? Awards and Achievements
- Aug 2015 – Sep 2021: Faculty of Medicine, Al-Azhar University (GP), GPA 83.06%.
- Aug 2013– Jun 2015: High School Diploma, Al-Doha School, GPA 97.6%.
- April 2020 - April 2021: Research Group Member at Palestinian Medical Relief Society (PMRS).
- Jan 2021: Certified in ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support): by NHCPS (Online).
- Jan 2021: Certified in "Writing in the Sciences" course: by Stanford University (Online).
- Dec 2019: Certified in "Scientific research skills" course: by PMRS.