From Palestine, ; seeking Undergraduate degree in Medicine and is enrolled at Alazhar University.
My name is Alaa. I am fourth year student at the School of Dentistry, Al-Azhar University in Gaza.
I worked against all odds to get this far.
Unfortunately, the crunching financial situation in Gaza made it virtually impossible for me to graduate. I graduated high school with a GPA of 96.9%.
My father was a low ranking employee. His income was barely sufficient to feed me and my nine brothers and sisters, let alone to educate us.
But I was determined to make my dream come true. I worked as a sales person for 14 hours daily, and gave private lessons to raisethe funds I needed.
I also depended heavily on student loans.
Gaza, my home, has been under a blockade since 2007. No one can imagine the amount of misery we live in. No one can imagine what it takes to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Despite my heavy workload, I still managed to volunteer in many local NGO’s that provided humanitarian assistance to Palestinians.
Unfortunately, due to the financial crisis student loans are no longer available.
I was not allowed to sit for the exams after attending the semester. I was removed from the exam hall.
I have a dream. I want to become one of Gaza’s prominent female dentists. My dream is a step away. Without your help my hard work during the past four years will go to waste.
Help me fulfill my dream. Help me help others. I cannot do it without your support.
Dream and Mission Statement
Adversity is a double edge sword. While it is the cause of immense human suffering, it also can be a motivation to rise to the challenge and overcome. This is my mission. I shall overcome. Gaza has been called the worlds largest open-air prison. We endured over 50 years of occupation and 10 years of blockade that rendered our lives miserable. But I wake up every morning more determined to be the agent of change. The suffering I see in my parents and my peoples eyes makes me more determined to do what it takes to make things better.
My dream is to become one of Gazas prominent female dentists. One day I hope I will be able to open a dental center to provide the best dental care for my community. I will provide free dental care to people who cannot afford the cost. y dream is to become one of Gazas prominent female dentists. One day I hope I will be able to open a dental center to provide the best dental care for my community. I will provide free dental care to people who cannot afford the cost.
The road to success is very difficult I know. But I promise to do my best to help students like myself, Palestinians and refugees, pursue their education and fulfill their hi a force for good, for others and myself.
Help me make my dream come true. Help me overcome adversity. Help me be a force for good, for others and myself.
Why Would Donors Fund You?
Together we can do miracles. My logo in life is “pay it forward”. Human solidarity makes the impossible possible.
By supporting me, you will be making a difference in many peoples’ lives.
Thanks to your generosity, I will be able graduate.
I will make sure that when it is my turn, I will help others achieve their dreams.
How Do You Plan to Payback?
I will provide free dental care to those who cannot afford it.
I will continue to volunteer and provide community service to those in need.
I will be a role model to others who can see that I triumphed over adversity and realized my dream. I am come from a poor family but I did what I could to complete my education.
Volunteer Work/Social Capital
I joined several NGOs to help my people and serve others.GOs to help my people and serve others.
- Trainer in peer-to- peer programs at Save Youth Future Society.
- Co-founder of the Southern Sands Youth Council for youth community service initiatives.
- Team member Fikra Youth Campaign to help children it times of war by providing clothes & entertainment.
- Volunteer as an administrative assistant at Fata (Youth) Center for Humanitarian Communication. The Center provides help to the poor and marginalized Palestinian youth inside Palestine and to refugees abroad.
- Supervisor of the project of the best annual youth volunteer award held by Fata (Youth) Center every year.
- Master of Ceremonies at events honoring student achievers in schools in Gaza.
- Volunteer as a child advocate in many initiatives.
- I ranked sixth in the 2011 robot-making competition in the Gaza Strip. This recognition earned me membership in the Technology Club for Outstanding Students.
- I ranked second at the 2011 Junior Journalist Competition in the Gaza Strip