After two decades of philanthropy and working with the most vulnerable youth populations, I have chosen refugee youth higher and continued education as a cause worthy of my attention and support.
Here are the 10 reasons I believe refugee higher education is worthy of your attention and donations this holiday season:
- Less than 1% of refugees worldwide have access to higher education.
- Youth refugees make up the largest demographic among the 70 million refugees populations worldwide.
- Youth refugees aged 16-30 are the ablest physically, emotionally, and mentally to support their community.
- By donating to their higher and / or continued education, you empower them with a degree that leads to their economic independence.
- With their newly-acquired skills, they are able to support themselves and their families.
- Their economic independence reduces their dependency on the UN and other NGOs supporting the refugee camps.
- Economically empowered refugee youth can move out of the camps.
- Refugee youth with jobs reduce the economic burden on host countries.
- Economic empowerment reduces refugee youth vulnerability to exploitation by extremist groups or opportunistic instead of organizations that take advantage of them as low-wage labor.
- Many youth refugees are incredibly talented and the only barrier between them and the global workforce is a degree.
Give the gift of education to refugee youth today