From Syria, Alhabeet; seeking a Undergraduate degree in Medicine and is enrolled at Lebanese University.
I am Alaa Alhabbety, from Taybet Al-Imam, Hama, Syria.
Our town is famous for its architectural and archeological marvels: it is home to the longest mosaic dating back to 425 AD & to one of 3 rocking minarets in the world. The 3rd is a less known distinction: our passion for education. We has the highest number of Ph.D.’s & master’s degrees per capita nationwide.
I hope that with your help I will join their ranks.
My father is a sculptor from Al-Habeet, Idlib. My mother is a fashion designer. I have three brothers and two sisters.
Our People are chivalrous. They are always ready to help those in need.
When I learned about edSeed, I did not feel the stigma of asking for help. I am at the receiving end today but will be at the giving end soon.
Nature's bounty in Alhabeet has always intrigued me. This goodness must have the answer to many of our modern day ailments.
I want to study medicine and pursue a parallel degree in integrative medicine.
It took me 3 years to pass ninth grade. I only knew how to count to 10 in English when I arrived. Later, I studied Physics, Chemistry and Math in English, scoring the highest grades among my peers.
I attended AMIDEAST’s Access-12 bridge program. It helped me through my high school years.
Syrian refugees were almost prevented from pursuing higher education in Lebanon. It took international pressure to allow us to do that.
Civil unrest and covid-19 brought my education plans to a halt in 2020.
I am confident that I will be able to resume my journey soon.
Why Would Donors Fund You?
I am patient, persistent, courageous, and determined to stand the course until I reach my goal.
By combining classical and holistic medicine techniques, I hope to be able to develop cures for modern day ailments including cancer, diabetes psychiatric disorders and kidney failure. . It is my dream to spread health awareness through nutrition among people.
How Do You Plan to Payback?
I have been brought up to believe in paying it forward, and I I can't wait to pay back. When you look up Taybet Al-Imam you read about the community's ethics, their social solidarity and how each one of them is their brother's keeper. There is no police station in the town. People settle their differences through traditional conflict resolution mechanisms.
In our community there is a civil society organization focusing on education that helps community members reach their education goals. I hope to be able to bring the edSeed crowdfunding example to our town and continue in the tradition of supporting education goals and dreams of our towns people.
I want to raise awareness about the negative effects of pollution on our health. I hope I will be able to promote the use of integrative/alternative medicine for the treatment of chronic diseases based on a scientific knowledge of classical medicine.
Volunteer Work/Social Capital
- I taught Syrian Students English and helped them adapt to the Lebanese Curriculum. My students passed with high colors
- In AMIDEAST Access-12 program I volunteered to plant a flower garden at Kamed Alouse School. We organized a bake sale to buy books for Jeb Jannine Secondary School Library.
- I earned the confidence of many of my peers. Many girls were depressed. I listened and provided sincere advice. I feel I can be of great help to others if I pursue a degree in psychotherapy.
- My sister was not cut for traditional schooling. She failed in school in grade eight and dropped out. I persuaded my parents to encourage her to enroll in an Interior Design program at the Development Institution in Jeb Jannine. She has blossomed and is now the top of her class.
What Have You Done to Improve Yourself? Awards and Achievements
- I learned English by myself
- I learned animation. I love drawing cartoons and 3D cities.
- I read books
- I learned photography using a Canon 250D Camera.
- I do sports, aerobics and yoga
- I grow my own garden: I plant wheat, chickpeas, vegetables and fruits.
- I use my free time creatively by recycling containers into art work (Vases, pen holders, Pots for plants ..etc)
- I raise two hens
- I took up knitting and embroidery.
- I qualified for the selective AMIDEAST Access-12 program.
- I am learning a Spanish