Syrian, from Homs; seeking Undergraduate degree in Food Engineering and is enrolled at Erciyes University.
I am Azza Alsaghier, a Syrian refugee in Turkey, studying Food Engineering at Erciyes University in the city of Kayseri, Turkey. Currently, I am in my fourth year of study.
My mother was able to find work in Turkey, which led my father to stay at home to care for my only brother, Abdulrahman, who is diagnosed with autism. My parents were always careful to follow a specific diet for him, often avoiding feeding him foods containing artificial sugar, coloring, and also products containing milk due to their negative impact on his nervous and digestive system.
Seeing my brother unable to express his desire to drink milk like any child motivated me to pursue a scientific field through which I could develop products free from substances that negatively affect the health of autistic children. Additionally, making these products available in all markets and accessible to consumers, attaching a label stating "Specific for Autism".
The main goal is to replace artificial additives with natural substances and reduce the casein protein in milk and gluten protein present in wheat, or replace them completely with beneficial proteins for autistics.
Ensuring a healthy life for autistics makes it easier for their families to live with and take care of them better.
Finishing my final year would allow me to develop healthy products that positively impact autistic, and this can only be accomplished with your help and support.
Why Would Donors Fund You?
In the future, I look forward to carrying out a research study that focuses mainly on the impact of a Mediterranean diet on autistic patient and how we can develop a diet system that helps in reducing side effects related to autism.
How Do You Plan to Payback?
- In the future, I hope to establish a food factory through which I can develop food products for autism patients that I can export them to the globe.
- I also look forward to conducting research related to the diet that patients with autism must follow and publishing it to raise awareness.
Volunteer Work/Social Capital
- I volunteered with the Turkish Red Crescent.
- I volunteered to teach young children at a school for orphans.
- I volunteered with my collogues at the university to take care of the laboratories and clean them.
- I participated with the University Students Union to help Syrian students enroll in Turkish universities.
- An active member of the Syrian Student Union at my university.
What Have You Done to Improve Yourself? Awards and Achievements
- Obtained Basic Nursing and First Aid Certificate.
- Attending a training program in the basics of using computers, Word, and Excel programs.