Syrian, from Dara'a; seeking Undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering and is enrolled at American University of Madaba.
I'm a Syrian refugee in Jordan seeking a graduate degree in civil engineering. I was born in UAE . When I was 12 years old, I visited a tower construction site where my father worked as civil engineer. I looked up to the tower in the sky and knew that "I want to be the engineer who designs and builds the tallest tower in the world".
We eventually returned to DARA'A-SYRIA, and soon had to relocate to Jordan when the hostilities broke out.
I have seen what being born to educated professionals means: despite the harsh realities of employment in host communities, my father's skills helped us survive.
I got a scholarship to study civil engineering at the American University of Madaba. That was a dream come true. I knew that my education will allow me to serve my community. I got interested in environmentally friendly green buildings and in concepts of circular economy.
I had to drop out of school to work and cover my education expenses when the scholarship ran out.
I earned the respect and recognition of my professors and my skills earned me nominations to attend an international conference on green buildings. I won second place in the Hult Prize, often referred to as the "Nobel Prize for students", and third place in Jusoor Entrepreneurship Program.
I will graduate this year and need support for this last chapter of my undergraduate education.
Why Would Donors Fund You?
All my thinking now is the positive impact to create in people's lives in the future through green building technology:
- Efficient use of water and renewable energy.
- Pollution and waste reduction measures
- Use of building materials that are sustainable.
I am confident that the civil engineering degree that I will obtain through your support will effectively impact the lives of my community.
How Do You Plan to Payback?
After my graduation, I plan to Payback through: -
- Designing and implementing green buildings in cooperation with specialized non-profit organizations to provide adequate shelter for students and families in need, especially refugees.
- Helping students to secure some of their financial and scientific needs while studying.
- Building the capacities of local communities compatible with sustainable development goals through specialized courses that help them gain the experience necessary to obtain a stable income
Volunteer Work/Social Capital
- Rahma Worldwide as a computer and robotics trainer for hearing impaired, Deaf & orphaned children.
- relief organizations as a photographer . I offer all my IT and other skills as needed.
- I volunteered with:
- World Associates: for two years providing psychological support for Syrian children and refugees.
- Mercy Corps: for one year in the field of training and development.
- Care International: for three years in the field of psychological support, training, and development.
- LDS for one year as a photographer and technical expert for an agricultural project.
- Jasmine to support projects and handicrafts for needy families.
- AUM volunteer team to organizing entertainment activities for orphaned children in various cities in Jordan.
What Have You Done to Improve Yourself? Awards and Achievements
- I continuously improve my knowledge of engineering terms in English. This helps me in my research of new and emerging trends of interest to my field of study.
- I won third place in the Jusoor Entrepreneurship Program award with my team. We focused on smart engineering and agricultural design.
- I won second place in the Hult Prize for our smart engineering and agricultural design.
- In high school, I came in first and was awarded the appreciation certificate in English.