Syrian, from Homs; seeking Undergraduate degree in Bsc in Genetic Science and is enrolled at Kilis 7 aralık üniversitesi.
I am Marwa Alsaghir a Syrian refugee in Turkey and a senior genetic science student at Kilis7 Aralık University. I have three siblings.
We arrived in Turkey in 2014, after experiencing displacement twice, first from Homs to Jerood in Damascus countryside then to Killis in Turkey.
My only brother, Abdul-Rahman is autistic. My mother was able to find work in Turkey. My father had to stay home with my brother. I took over the task of caring for my brother when I came back from school.
I had to read a lot to learn how to handle him. Understanding his needs was a challenge. Coping with his frustration over his inability to express his feeling made me sad. It also motivated me to seek educational pathways that influence autism patients.
A special bond developed between us. I became a surrogate mother for him. He taught me the virtue of persistence and patience.
While I was preparing for my campaign, I came across a quote that inspired me. "I am different but not less".
Without Abdul-Rahman, I would have thought that we were all the same. I would not have enjoyed that special link that connects me to a differently beautiful person.
Being different but not less was the best expression of the reason I decided to study Genetic Science. The purpose of knowledge is to understand our find a pattern that allows us to make the best of our situations.
Why Would Donors Fund You?
- I look forward to carrying out research that focuses on autism patients and how we can develop a cure using Stem Cells. research has proven that the human genome defines who we are but only by 50%. But the rest is arbitrary and unsystematic which requires further research. responsible I intend to pursue genome studies to discover causes for mental diseases. I hope that I would be able to advance our knowledge in this field, particularly for bilingual families.
How Do You Plan to Payback?
- In the future, I hope that I can open a medical center that supports autism patients using behavioral and psychological therapy.
- Conducting autism-related research that can support the use of stem cells in finding a cure for autism.
Volunteer Work/Social Capital
- I volunteered at a school for orphans and participated in many activities.
- I volunteered with the Turkish Red Crescent.
- I volunteered with my friend at high school in afforestation. We went to the forests and planted more than 50 trees.
- In 2021 at the university, my friends and I did a project to recycle natural waste and turn it into things that can be used in daily life.
What Have You Done to Improve Yourself? Awards and Achievements
- Obtained Basic Nursing and First Aid Certificate.
- I participated and contributed to the training program (vocational education and job opportunities for Syrian youth) and obtained a certificate.
- I attended the (Basic Occupational Health and Safety) training program in Turkey and obtained a certificate.
- I got a certificate in the basics of using computers, Word, and Excel programs.
- I obtained a certificate of attendance in the entrepreneurship training program held within the scope of the TAMEB IT Project of the Anatolian Culture, Development, and Solidarity Association.