Palestinian, from Aljanoub; seeking a Professional Post Graduate degree in CIVIL ENGINEERING FOR RISK MITIGATION and is enrolled at Politecnico di Milano.
My name is Mohammad Shmaiseh, a 23-year-old Palestinian refugee from Al-Ma'shouq camp in Lebanon.
I got my B.Sc. in civil engineering from the Arab University of Beirut in 2020. I have recently secured an M.A. graduate scholarship in Civil Engineering For Risk Mitigation at the Politecnico Di Milano University. I still need $2200 to supplement my living expenses cost.
Like most Palestinians, I grew up in a family that treasures learning. My three siblings got scholarships to pursue their higher education.
My father was a farmer. He died in a car accident the year I graduated college. He always predicted that I would become a successful engineer judging by my interest in buildings as a child. I dream of becoming a successful engineer to fulfill his vision.
The Beirut Port explosion in August 2020 caused massive destruction to buildings around the explosion site. There was a severe shortage of specialized engineers who could mitigate the risks of structurally compromised buildings and save lives and properties. Having been born and raised in an area that had its share of man-made and other disasters, I feel I can be an important part of a solution should this tragedy or similar natural disasters occur. Thanks to my professor, Dr. Jamal Al-Khatib who is one of the top 2% world researchers in this field, I decided to dedicate my academic career to risk mitigation. I look forward to achieving this dream with your help.
Why Would Donors Fund You?
- · My degree will qualify me to save lives and property by applying innovative methods to protect new and existing structures so that they can withstand man-made and natural disasters.
How Do You Plan to Payback?
I will establish voluntary campaigns to restore homes that are in danger of collapsing within the city of Beirut. At the same time, I will work on implementing engineering systems dedicated to constructing sturdy buildings that are difficult to collapse due to any disaster, unlike buildings that collapsed as a result of an explosion. I will be a volunteer in these campaigns as an engineer.
Volunteer Work/Social Capital
- In 2020, I volunteered as an engineer to oversee the construction of a football field in my area.
- During the Corona pandemic, I volunteered with UNRWA to virtually teach sixth-grade Palestinian refugees.
- In 2017 and 2018, during Ramadan, I collected and distributed meals to needy families in my camp.
- I have been volunteering to teach Syrian refugee students science 2014.
What Have You Done to Improve Yourself? Awards and Achievements
- My BsC GPA was 3.37.
- I interned as a civil engineer and was eventually employed by an Urban Planning Firm in Tyre.
- I obtained Robotics and Microwork certificates at Dot Lebanon.
- I am IC3 (Internet Core Competency Certification) certified.
- I obtained a certificate of completion in Software for Civil Engineer (Etabs, Safe, Revit) from the Arab International Academy.
- I have a Fitness Coach Assistant Certificate from Lead Institute.