Egyptian, from Cairo; seeking Undergraduate degree in Television Reporting and Programming and is enrolled at Istanbul Bilgi University.
Which would you rather hear my good news or my bad news? Well, the good news is that my freshman year CGPA was 3.87! The bad news is that like many Arab families impacted by conflict, my father was laid off from work in the UAE. Competing demands on my family in 2021, including my sister's imminent graduation from college and providing speech therapy to my 15-year-old brother who has Down syndrome, made it impossible for my dad to pay my tuition. I am glad that decision was made then because today my sister is the only wage earner in the family.
I'm Raneem Leila, a sophomore TV Reporting & Programming major at Istanbul Bilgi University. I have a strong passion for sports, specifically soccer. I loved content creating and among many majors I chose a TV reporting. My mother told me that I had the TV reporter character, and as such I chose this major. Watching women in sports made me realize how much work we still need to do to change perceptions about women in this field in Arab socieities. I decided to become a female sports and media reporter focusing on women and minorities in host communities, particularly refugee women in sports.
I was fascinated by the journey of the Mardini sisterst and felt that we need more light to be shed on their stories.
We used our family assets to survive. I am hoping that my GPA will qualify me for a scholarship as a rising junior. For now, I need to make it to third year, and I need your help to do that.
I need USD $3400 per semester. Can I count on your generosity to see me through? Every penny counts.
Why Would Donors Fund You?
As a reporter, I want to focus on finding a voice for minorities, especially Arab women, in media. I want to shed light on successful and inspirational voices in host communities that go unnoticed. I want to become a big and successful reporter, creating a reliable field of source and entertainment! I started this journey and I want to finish it, Insha'Allah.
How Do You Plan to Payback?
I hope to become a sports journalist and create my own talk show to entertain, educate, and raise awareness. I will use the lessons learned on media's effects on consumers to represent Arab women who want to find a place for themselves in this community but can't due to the discrimination they face.
Volunteer Work/Social Capital
- During my years in high school, I've volunteered in many school events including my school talent shows which I organized and photographed.
- I've also participated in various volunteering activities such as the distribution of free Iftar boxes during Ramadan and urged my community to take a role in such events.
- At my university, I currently volunteer as the social media manager at Horizon Club, a student club dedicated to helping students in their social and academic lives offering educational tips, tutor sessions, field trips, and lots of other various social activities! I film and design most of their stories, generate ideas for engaging content, and edit some of their posts and reels too.
What Have You Done to Improve Yourself? Awards and Achievements
- Visual Production courses - I learned about the history of photography and enhanced my skills in it and in editing software like Photoshop and Adobe Premiere Pro.
- Foundations of Media Studies - I got to do projects that involved meetings, and outside interviews and improved my knowledge and usage of Excel documents.
- Elective Courses: Social Media and Public Speaking - I learned about different aspects of media and their effects, and strengthened my public speaking skills.
- Other beneficial courses I took are Turkish Language, History of Turkish Revolution, Sociology, and Politics.