Palestinian, from Gaza Strip; seeking Undergraduate degree in Data science and artificial intelligence and is enrolled at University College Of Applied Sciences.
I am Salma Shaheen, a 19-year-old Freshman, AI and Data Science major at the University College of Applied Science from
I graduated high school with a 98.7% average. I could have easily become the doctor that every member of my family wanted
me to be since I was in grade school.
It was common knowledge that any person with my average would get a full scholarship at the school of medicine. That
year, with our government, tightened the belt; the rule applied to the highest average nationwide, not at the local level. I could not afford attending med
school. I had to look for an alternative.
I started looking for what I really wanted to do, not for what my family wanted me to be. I chose AI and data science and was fortunate enough that it was offered in Gaza for the first time this year.
It was time for Gaza to meet AI. I wanted to be among the first females in Gaza to work in this field. AI is the driver of life in the 21st century. Medicine like many other fields has now an AI component.
Gaza’s healthcare system has been devastated by repeated bombings. Pursuing this major and focusing on its medical applications will be the difference between life and death to the people of Gaza.
Using robotics to perform surgeries would allow Palestinian physicians abroad to participate in the healing process. I can be their tech-right hand right there on site when need be.
I hope you can be a part of the AI revolution in Gaza by supporting my bid to graduate.
Why Would Donors Fund You?
- use of AI in the field of health care and its use in treating patients and discovering diseases .
- help my country and pressure responsible authorities to fund these filed, which become almost unique in Palestine.
- I also want to change the concept we are a besieged people can make a change despite the siege.
- draw people's attention to this field which has great wealth to do a lot for the whole world.
How Do You Plan to Payback?
- I will conduct a meeting for university students who are unable to pay fees and who cannot complete their education due to social conditions and have a desire to do so, and then tell them about edseed and the benefit that they can obtain through it and reach their dreams.
- I also want to do all the volunteer work that the platform imposes.
- I will be one of the active people on the platform who constantly attend meetings and help people reach them, register for them,
and launch thier campaigns.
- Holds meetings on the use of artificial intelligence in the field of health care at the same time, the use of data science to analyze the algorithms that help in discovering or diagnosing diseases.
Volunteer Work/Social Capital
- Because I am a new university student, I have not done a lot of volunteer work yet, but I intend to do so after attending a meeting with a member of Amazon International and his talk about the field of AI and how to employ it in several areas, which attracted me greatly.
I intend, after completing a good period of my university studies, to hold courses to benefit people and introduce them to the field of AI and encourage them to delve
deeper into this field.
- I volunteered in school health.
- I represented my school in Scientific Research Competition.
- I volunteered to attend awareness meetings at the university entitled Security fortification, which talks about the danger of technology development in our time.
What Have You Done to Improve Yourself? Awards and Achievements
- Programming with python from Cisco
- English for Freelancer from Gaza Sky Geek
- ICDL from Edrak
- ASP.net from Gaza Sky Geek
- Artificial intelligence from Edrak
- Programming with python from Edrak
- Exploratory Data Analysis with Seaborn from Coursera
- Introduction to Data Analytics from smplilearn .
- get an average of 98.7% in high school
- get an average of 94.7% in the first semester
- deal with international companies
- get many courses from many sites like : Cisco, Gaza sky Geeks ,Coursera , and Edrak.
- Programming with python language.
- CSS and Html
- Command and Linex
- designing web and application
- Scientific research
- data analysis
- data visualization