Palestinian, from Gaza; seeking a Undergraduate degree in Medicine and is enrolled at Al-Quds University.
My name is Yara Ashour, a senior medical student at Al-Azhar University. I am the oldest sister in a a family of 8, and have been responsible for my sisters and brothers from a young age.
My dad's income was barely enough to meet our needs. The COVID19 pandemic added insult to injury.
The fees and associated cost of attending medical school including transport, books, and supplies consumed most of my family's disposable income.
Having to ask my father for the minimum amounts due to guarantee my standing at the university almost was more difficult than passing my exams. I felt extremely guilty and uncomfortable to be a burden on my family.
I tried to search for a part-time job, but my time didn't allow it, as my day was divided between the hospital practice, my study, my voluntary work, and helping my younger sisters in their studies.
If I don't finish my fees, I won't be able to complete my university, and I won't achieve my dream.
With every donation, you push me one step closer to my dream of being a doctor, motivate me to remember those pursuing the same journey and payback.
Why Would Donors Fund You?
Our medical personnel are continuously under attack, so are our health facilities.
Being a female physician will double my reach. Many women in Gaza prefer to be treated by a female physician.
Donors investment in me will not stop there. It will impact generations of women and children in Gaza.
How Do You Plan to Payback?
Having participated in training for Youth Friendly Health Services in cooperation with UNFPA, I wish to crowdfund for a trauma center for the children and youth of Gaza. This center can eventually cater to the physical and psychological needs of the victims of armed conflict It could be a step-down or recreational repurposed unit in medical facility or an independent structure. I will use the skills I acquired while funding for my own education to support the center.
I will also dedicate a share of my income to support other female medical students in their journey.
Volunteer Work/Social Capital
- One year volunteering as National public health Officer at PMSA Palestine, which is a part of the International Federation for medical students around the world and I was a project coordinator for a lot of projects related to public health, Immunization campaign, COVID19 Awareness project, Mental health training, Public Health-related International days celebration project, Healthy lifestyle Tips.
- 2 years volunteering as a Medical writer and translator for medical Arabic Articles on TebFact website.
- One year volunteering as an Outreach Volunteer at Global changeMakers.
For more information about my volunteering initiatives please click HERE
What Have You Done to Improve Yourself? Awards and Achievements
Learning opportunities, online and in-person included:
- Medical skills: first aid, CPR, Scientific research, and Statistical Analysis Software (SPSS) with UNFPA.
- Soft skills/General information on human rights, communication skills, Leadership, and Palestinian sign language
- Diploma in personal nutrition.
- For more learning opportunities.