From Syria; seeking a Undergraduate degree in Digital Media and is enrolled at University of Gloucestershire.
I’m from Swaida Syria, determined to seek knowledge in larger freedom. My life experience tooled me up with great determination. I grew up in Yarmouk, Damascus, in a home full of books; later looted and destroyed. I am one of four siblings: two programmers, a biologist, and myself a science communicator and linguist. Although I have a BA in English Literature and an MA in Simultaneous Interpretation and Translation , I have yet to pursue my real passion.
I have an astronomically huge passion for Space, Physics, and Science communication as I see in them a long-term solution for the numerous problems plaguing our world; and, in the modern sphere of digital media, I see many possibilities for spreading awareness and making science accessible and attractive to people from any background.
Space Science is of growing interest to the Arabic-speaking world, which fuels my firm commitment to the idea that Digital Media and Science Education have the power to guide humankind towards a brighter and more positive future. When you see our Pale Blue Ship sailing the empty dark void, you realize that a hole on the other side of the ship is as dangerous as a hole on your side of it.
Why Would Donors Fund You?
Donation to me is an investment that I’ll pay forward. You can see my skills and determination in Science Communication (https://youtube.com/AstroGate) to make sure that your generous donation will help grow this educational project and equip me with the academic tools to take it to the next level.
How Do You Plan to Payback?
I strongly believe that Education Builds Peace. The Apollo-Soyuz docking and Handshake in Space contributed to ending the Cold War. The Overview Effect of seeing Earth from Space for the first time inspired the first Earth Day; while Earthrise, the photo of Earth from the Moon, sparked the Environmental Movement. Digital Media is the most effective tool to dissolve all false borders of race, religion, and tribalism; spread awareness; and make science education freely accessible to everyone.
Volunteer Work/Social Capital
- As a Simultaneous Interpreter, I had the chance to build an effective Network of peacebuilding NGOs, Journalists, and Media outlets (BBC, Aljazeera, Financial Times).
- I volunteered in several unique initiatives like the Syrian Astronomical Association, and NASA in Arabic (collaborated on Scientific American).
- I founded my own Science Communication channel AstroGate (40K subscribers, 5M views); hosting Muhammad Faris, the 1st Syrian astronaut; Scott Manley, and NASA Astrophysicist Shadia Habbal.
What Have You Done to Improve Yourself? Awards and Achievements
- MA in Simultaneous Interpretation for Conferences from the Higher Institute for Translation and Interpretation (ISIT).
- BA in English Literature from the University of Damascus.
- Sworn Legal Translator from the Syrian Ministry of Justice.
Passion in Science:
- Online courses in Astrophysics from the University of Arizona.
- Orbital Mechanics.
- Aviation and Flight Simulators.
Digital Media & YouTube:
- Professional level on OBS (Open Broadcaster Software).
- Experienced on Adobe suite (Photoshop, Premiere).