Syrian, from Damascus; seeking a Professional Post Graduate degree in Master of Integrated Design and is enrolled at Technical University of Ostwestfalen-Lippe.
I am Rebal Jaber, a Syrian architect with a passion for parametric, innovative, and technology-driven design.
I grew up in an underprivileged area. Public schools had very little to offer. I used to be bored to death in school. I was the class’s mischief clown. I did not do well. My father, a math teacher, was so disappointed in me. He thought I will never make it.
His passing at an early age was a turning point in my life. I wanted to do better to make him proud.
In retrospect, the one subject that interested me was drawing. All my teachers
happened to be well known Syrian artists who became my best friends.
My Baccalaureate score entitled me to join the department of architecture at Damascus University.
There I discovered my passion for design. I compensated for the lack of access to
up-to-date tools by searching the net and attending virtual workshops to learn about innovative technologies and strategies.
I co-Founded the DaMorph group, an educational initiative where students learned about concepts of computational design
including Rhino 3D software.
My admission to the master’s degree at OWL University would equip me with the necessary
skills to advance the DaMorph group initiative.
My passion for photography, sculpting and innovative technology, taught me to express
myself, connect with the past, advance our quality of life and bridge towards sustainable ideas for future generations.
Syria continues to drive me to achieve. Syria’s future awaits my generation’s passions, skills,
Why Would Donors Fund You?
As an architect whose interest is in innovative architecture - in both materials and tools, my goal is to assist in setting damage recycling guidelines, by reusing materials from destroyed buildings in newly constructed buildings. I will benefit from machinery that can cut down and sort the demolished building pieces rather than destroy them. by following this procedure, and the overall CO2 emissions of reconstruction phases will be reduced.
How Do You Plan to Payback?
My ultimate aim is to return to Syria, where my journey began and where my skills are much-needed. Using my qualifications and skills, I will:
- Share my knowledge with students and colleagues through teaching and collaborations in order to build a research group of graduates students.
- Contribute to rebuilding and reconstruction in Syria through green, innovative, and sustainable strategies and policies.
- Apply the learned lessons and scenarios from the Germany experiences in this field, and embody them in my strategic plan for developing specific guidance for my country.
Volunteer Work/Social Capital
- Co-Founder of DaMorph group - from students to students teaching architectural design software for free link here
- I coordinated a workshop on retrofitting houses for sustainable building in Syria between UCL and Damascus University.
- I worked with the ESQWA to organize a competition (Sketch for Syria).Link here
- The Faculty Photographer -2014/2017 Damascus University.
- In 2017 I was a member of 12 Volt; giving more exposure on heritage buildings using light painting motion in video.
- Co founder of Rhino 3D Syrian community.
These contributions allowed my ideas to go beyond boundaries to places I cannot travel to, and built-up connections with people who can be a part of my future plan. .
What Have You Done to Improve Yourself? Awards and Achievements
- Take part in designing the Twin Towers of Future City - Link here
- Best of Beirut design week 2018 for Traces of Nature collection. Link here
- take part in 1m cube exhibition – virtual reality exhibition about link here
- FIVE ONE LABS LAUNCHES PROGRAM TO SUPERCHARGE GROWTH OF LATER-STAGE STARTUPS IN IRAQ Link here
- "Design, Co-creation and Entrepreneurship in Times of Overlapping Crises" link here
- Learning from nature - Part of Tafseelah Project with IW Lab link here
- City incarnation - Cambridge exhibition. link
- Jusoor entrepreneurship boot camp 2018 link
list of courses - social activities and projects: