From Syria; seeking a Undergraduate degree in Biology and is enrolled at Lebanese University.
My name is Khadija, a 20 years old Syrian refugee in Lebanon from Dara'a, Syria. I have four brothers and am the only girl in the family. My eldest brother is also a freshman at the Lebanese university, biology major. I grew up in a family that values learning and education. My parents dropped out of school in ninth grade. They both wish they could have finished their education. They both dream of celebrating our graduation from college as a reward. They do everything they can so that we are spared the same fate. I went through a severe health crisis after which I was hospitalized. I know the kind of difference that medical attention made in my life. I live by the Golden Rule: I would love to do unto others what was done unto me. Giving someone a new lease on life is an amazing feeling.
My grades qualified me to register for a biology major at the Lebanese University. My freshman year would count as my pre-med. I will have to take an exam to be admitted to the School of Medicine. I am confident that I will be able to get there.
Why Would Donors Fund You?
A person grows, and as his needs grow, so do his dreams and aspirations, and in many cases the material obstacle falls in the middle of the path of the future and hinders the individual.Good exists just as evil, and this step you take is good evidence of that.My desire to build my future is incomparable, and while I have overcome all obstacles, I will work to overcome the other, and I will be very grateful if you walk by my side on the path of transforming the dream into a lived reality.
How Do You Plan to Payback?
I want to be able to:
- Pre and post-natal care, free of charge to depressed and underprivileged women.
- I will raise funds dedicated to educating those who cannot afford schooling.
Volunteer Work/Social Capital
• I volunteered with AMIDEAST in fundraising activities. The proceeds were used to buy books for students in secondary education.
• I volunteered with AMIDEAST in a landscaping project to beautify a K-12 schoolyard.
• I tutored three elementary school students.
What Have You Done to Improve Yourself? Awards and Achievements
• Enrolled in AMIDEAST's English program for two years to polish my English language skills
• I joined book club at my high school
• I participated in the 2019 Beirut Marathon (16 km)
• I participated in many seminars the promotion and protection of womens' rights
• Under the auspices of Jusoor, I participated in the National Museum project in which we highlighted the archeological heritage of Syria, namely Mideaval castles.
• Under the auspices of AMIDEAST, I was one of the participants in a research study on pollution levels of the Litani River in search for solutions. Lately, the project was presented tof a group of trainers and doctors at LAU.
• I also took part in "Think Out Of The Box", a workshop dedicated to promote problem solving through thinking.